Posted on June 26 2017
History and Symbolic System of the Necklace
Symbols and meaning of necklace
- First of all, the necklace was a protection – against evil people and spirits;
- Red corals were magical, because according to beliefs, the bright shiny beads say that she’s health, while dull or gray coral beads warned about the disease;
- If we talk about necklace of beads, then the traditional symbol was a geometric rhomb, a triangle with horns around the corners, and zigzags - the symbols of infinity;
- Also the most common were amber necklace - it was thought that amber improves the complexion and brings health.
The most common types of Ukrainian beads have always been:
1. “Shelest” is the most archaic jewelry, which almost does not meet today. This is a necklace made of small round metallic bells, which was worn in Hutsulshchyna.
2. “Gerdan” - necklace made of beads in the form of a wide loop, the edges of which are combined and fixed with medallion. Initially, it was male decoration, but later women also started to wear gerdan.
3. “Pletinky” (syluanky) - a beaded necklace, which is tied behind the neck. The name comes from the method of stripping beads on thread – “sylyannya”. Such narrow necklace womens wort as a guard. In Bukovina, such necklace was called “tsyatky”.
4. “Kryzy” - wide circular beaded collars, which covered the neck, shoulders and chest of a woman.
5. “Zgarda” - a necklace, which consists of 2-4 threads with metal crosses. Such a bead was fixed on the neck with two large disks (“chepragy”). There were solar symbols depicted on these discs - concentric circles, rosettes, and wheels with 4-8 knitting needles.
6. Amber necklace - traditional accessories that were worn practically in all regions of Ukraine. Beads of different sizes were cut with a knife and were worn on a long thread.
7. Coral necklace is the most widespread and most refined necklace in the Ukrainian collection. Pink beads with a red or grayish tinge had the shape of a cylinder and were screwed up unevenly - small outside and large inside.
8. “Pazyorky” - the most desirable glass accessories. Such decorations were incredibly expensive, because hand-made beads were transported from Venice.
9. “Dukach” - a metal breastpiece in the form of a coin mixed with stone or glass beads. On the obverse side of the coin were depicted certain scene from the some battle. Dukachi with a biblical plot were also very popular. Another name is lichman.
10. “Salba” - a linen bib, embroidered with coins, such as Turkish or Tatar accessories. Were popular in Bukovina.
These were the main necklaces in our Ukraine - beautiful, elegant and colorful!