Posted on November 22 2018
Silver chains and jewelry have the ability to darken if you wear them during long time, but this is not a problem for anyone who knows how to handle it. You don’t need immediately to run into the store and buy a new accessory, as you can return the old look at home.
Why can silver darken?
One of the main reasons why silver loses its natural appearance is the high humidity of room and frequent contact with skin. It is worth noting that silverware doesn’t have a clear darkening period. Someone can carry the chain for two years, and for someone silverware will lose its usual appearance in a month.
Changing the colour of items also occurs when you’re dealing with different cosmetics. Be aware of substances with sulfur ions, because it corrodes metal.
How to bring back a unique glow or how to remove tarnish from jewelry?
If you don’t want to spend a lot of time cleaning, use this simple silver cleaning solution.
- Just drop 1-2 tablespoons of soda in 500 ml of water and put the mixture on fire to boil. Then lower your item for 10-15 minutes and it will shine again like new
- If you are looking for quality cleaners, try ammonia. The procedure is the same as in the case of soda, but for the best effect you can add hydrogen peroxide and soap. Don’t forget to rub the chain with a cloth after cleaning
- There is another purifier, and this isn’t difficult to guess, because it is in each house. This is citric acid. Add 100 g of this substance in 500 ml of water and heat to boil. Put jewelry and add cooper wire for 10-15 minutes
- Vinegar or Coca-Cola drink will help you to get rid of plaque and mildew. Don’t be surprised, this drink can be used for such purposes because of its "useful warehouse". Boil the item for 5 minutes and the dark plaque disappears in seconds
- Just imagine that even a lipstick can clear silver from darkening. Grease the chain with the old cosmetic, and then wipe thoroughly with a small cloth with a smooth surface
- Similarly, you can use a toothpaste, but then wipe it with a soft toothbrush and rinse it in warm water
- Another traditional method is cleaning with egg yolks. Wipe the jewelry with cotton wool and leave to dry for 5-10 minutes. Then moisten with water and wipe with a cloth. Note that this method is not effective for radical cleaning of items, so if you need to remove plaque, it’s better to use a toothbrush and vinegar
Now you know how to deal with the darkening of silverware. There are plenty of home remedies for cleaning jewelry and ways to bring back shine into your accessories without much effort. Awaken your creativity, try and don’t refuse from non-standard cleaners like Coca-Cola, yolk or lipstick. It may seem that they cannot be used for such case, but experience shows that they can work more efficiently than modern methods.